• daufuskie silver dew winery

Silver Dew Winery


The tiny and historic Silver Dew Winery is located in a small building on Daufuskie Island that dates all the way back to 1883. The building was originally constructed as what was known back then as a "wick house". Wick houses were used as a place to store oil, wicks, and even the lamp for the nearby Bloody Point Lighthouse.


In the mid-1900's this Daufuskie Island icon was converted to a winery by Arthur "Papy" Burn. Papy loved Daufuskie Island and his home. He began making wine from grapes, scuppernong, pears, elderberries and other fruit in this tiny shed in the early 50's. Locals soon dubbed the old wick house the Silver Dew Winery. The first mention of Silver Dew was when SC author Pat Conroy wrote about it in his Low Country novel, The Water is Wide in 1972.


Unfortunately the winery closed in 1956. Currently the old wick house still carries the sign of Silver Dew Winery and is a quaint gift shop that visitors of the Island enjoy stopping by to pick up a fun trinket or a bottle of wine. Recent news on Daufuskie Island is the purchase of the Bloody Point Lighthouse and Silver Dew Winery. The most historic structures on the island will now be open to the public instead of a being a private residence.


In an effort to show people more of the history of the Island, indigo and Sea Island Cotton have been planted and plans have been made to use one of the two small winery buildings as a wine shop while the other will be used to sell nautical items. The nearby lighthouse is now a museum and a gift shop that is fully open to the public. It is exciting that people will finally be able to have a look around inside of these historical landmarks.